posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:39 AM by Mike Arsenault
updated Sep 14, 2015, 4:25 AM
Some MLTI participants who are 13 years of age or older may already have their own personal Apple ID. They should use their Apple ID in the MLTI program. For users 13 or older who do not have an Apple ID, you can follow the steps below to create an Apple ID that does not have a credit card associated to it.
- Click iTunes Store (on the left side of the iTunes window), and pick USA by clicking on the American flag in the bottom-right corner of the main iTunes Store.
- Navigate to the App Store by clicking on App Store from the top navigation bar.
- Important: Before proceeding to the next step, you must download and install a free application. To find a free application, navigate to the Top Charts column on the right side of the App Store window. Scroll down until you see the list of Free Apps. Select any application by clicking on it. Then, click Free App underneath the application icon.
- In the pop-up window, click Create Apple ID.
- You are directed to the "Welcome to the iTunes Store" screen. Click Continue.
- You'll need to read and agree to the iTunes Store Terms & Conditions. Make sure you select the checkbox next to "I have read and agree to these terms and conditions."
- Click Continue
- Enter your email address (school address would be good for this), create your password, continue to create and answer your security questions, and then enter your birthday.
- You can also enter an optional rescue email address. If you frequently change email addresses, this is recommended.
- Once you are satisfied with the information entered, click Continue.
- Select None s the payment type.
- Continue to fill out the required name and address fields.
- You'll then see a "Verify you Account" screen. Click Done, and then check your email for a verification email from iTunes Store.
- Open the email, and click the link enclosed in the email to activate your account.
- Once you click the link, the Apple ID website should ask you to sign in with your account name and password.
- After signing in, you should see that your email address is associated with your Apple ID. A button labeled "Return to Store" should appear.
- Once you sign in, you'll then see the "Congratulations" screen. Click Start Shopping to be taken to the App Store home page.